- Canon’s innovative Dual Pixel CMOS AF enables you to shoot video like a camcorder with smooth, fast, and accurate autofocus; lets you enjoy instant and precise autofocus even when shooting stills from a variety of angles with the freedom provided by the Vari-angle LCD; and provides amazing autofocus power with 103◊ compatible Canon EF lenses when shooting photos or video.
- Built-in wireless technology allows you to wirelessly transfer your images to social networking sites through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY#, share your images with wireless-enabled Canon cameras, or upload virtually anywhere on your iOS® or AndroidTMsmartphone* with the free download of the EOS Remote app**. Use your smartphone for remote camera control and operation (with the EOS Remote app), or even print your images on a wireless PictBridge certified printer.
- 20.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, ISO 100-12800 (expandable to H: 25600) for shooting from bright to dim light and high performance DIGIC 5+ Image Processor for exceptional image quality and processing speed.
- High speed continuous shooting up to 7.0 fps allows you to capture quick action.
- EOS Full HD Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for improved continuous focus tracking of moving subjects, manual exposure control and multiple frame rates (1080: 30p (29.97) / 24p (23.976) / 25p, 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p, 480: 30p (29.97) / 25p), built-in stereo microphone, manual audio level adjustment with attenuator function to reduce audio clipping, and Video Snapshot with editing for expanded movie shooting options.
- Vari-angle Touch Screen 3.0-inch Clear View LCD monitor II (approximately 1,040,000 dots) with smudge-resistant coating features multi-touch operation and Touch AF for an easy and intuitive experience, flexible positioning, and clear viewing even when outdoors in sunlight.
- 19-point all cross-type AF system (including a high-precision f/2.8 dual cross-type AF center point) with a wide area array for exceptional autofocus performance and greater compositional freedom when shooting with the viewfinder.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with superimposed LCD display provides approximately 98% field of view, and Multi-Aspect ratio in Live View broadens your choices in composition.
- Expand your creativity with advanced in-camera imaging features like High Dynamic Range, Multiple Exposure, Handheld Night Scene and HDR Backlight Control, along with seven Creative Filters that can be displayed in real time during Live View shooting.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode delivers expertly optimized photos and offers improved scene detection for amazing results when shooting at night.
- Additional features.
The Next Generation in Live View AF.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF
The EOS 70D features Canon’s all-new Dual Pixel CMOS AF, a revolutionary leap forward in speed and accuracy that unlocks the potential of Live View shooting. This game-changing technology will forever change what is possible with a DSLR camera.
Shoot Video Like a Camcorder
The benefits of the groundbreaking Dual Pixel CMOS AF are clearly evident in video shooting, where bringing scenes and subjects into focus is a critical element of the final composition. On the EOS 70D, Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps ensure focus is achieved naturally and precisely, even when switching between subjects. And, combined with the predictive power of Movie Servo AF, subjects in motion are smoothly and consistently tracked – once the EOS 70D locks focus, it doesn’t let go. Plus, with the shallow depth-of-field afforded by EOS optics, your video gains a cinematic ambience.
Compositional Freedom, Quick and Accurate Live View Focus
For stills, Dual Pixel CMOS AF makes Live View AF precise and faster than ever, freeing the photographer to take advantage of the freedom of angle afforded by the camera’s Vari-angle LCD monitor. Whether capturing images of athletes on the field or kids in the park – with a tripod or handheld and operated from a number of angles and positions – crisp focus can be obtained nearly instantly across a wide shooting area, especially useful for those spontaneous or fleeting shots. And, when composing and shooting in Live View mode, the image, exposure and chosen effects can be previewed before shooting, ensuring better accuracy, increased comfort, and more control from the start.
Compatible with 103◊ Canon EF Lenses
103◊ Canon EF lenses are able to fully realize the benefits of Dual Pixel CMOS AF. Compatible lenses greatly expand creative and compositional possibilities so users can enjoy a wide range of endeavors made possible through various lenses whether shooting still images or video.
◊ As of July 2, 2013.
The Genius of Pixel Based AF
Dual Pixel CMOS AF is a cutting-edge Canon technology, made possible by a sophisticated redesigning of the CMOS sensor. Traditionally, image sensors have one photodiode per pixel, but the CMOS sensor on the EOS 70D has two photodiodes per pixel, enabling each pixel on the sensor to both perform phase-difference detection autofocus and capture light – a first for EOS cameras. With phase-difference detection AF, autofocus is achieved quickly and easily on the camera. This unique AF system enables autofocus on 80% of the image plane, vertically and horizontally, and helps ensure virtually no loss in image quality.